Monday 16 May 2016

Why I like the Aliens series!

Since the age of 11 I've loved the Aliens movies. I was lucky enough to have folks who knew it was okay to let me watch gory movies so long as it was only monsters doing to killing. Truth be told I say predator first and loved it but it was my 11th birthday when my obsession with Aliens began. My Brother got me two Kenner Aliens, The Queen and the Flying Alien Queen. That same week I got my hands on the Movie Alien which my sister had got. I watched it and remember being afraid of the Facehugger scene. The Chestburster part didnt scare or shock me...All I remember was thinking...."ahe thats what it was doing!" The movie then done stuff that made me stop and fast forward the tape...when Brett went to get the Cat..Fast Forward, Dallas went into the vent...Fast Forward. Ripley was trying to escape...Fast Forward. Ironically I decided to go back the next week and watch it again but not out of some act of valor to prove to my self I was a tough kid...oh no. But to see what the fuck was killing the crew of the ship. I pause and pause and pause but was still not sure what I was looking at...it had a long head and no eyes. It had a mouth inside a mouth but that was all I could determine.Even when its blown out the air lock of the escape shuttle I could really see what I was seeing. Did it have two arms or four, did it have four legs, what were the things on its back...was its tail in the back or the front. It fascinated me. I looked at my figures and saw some similar things but it was not the star beast from this movie.

Those space beasts would be discovered at my cousins house on a Halloween sleep over. The Alien Queen and her horde vs Ripley and the Marines....this movie was scary but even better it was action packed. Monsters, Spaceships, Battle tanks and a huge robot forklift fight at the end. My 11 year old mind was blown These soldiers didnt use lasers or dress like something I was unfamiliar with. They were soldiers. Cameo, Cursing and helmets. It was a wicked movie and one that I would go back to again and again.

I watched 3 on the first night of my summer holidays .I was about 13 and they showed it on RTE 1 at 9 O'clock. It was more like the first movie....One Alien and more scares. The creature was cool. It came from a dog and ran like panther. I loved the movie but didnt like the fact they killed Hicks.

I rented Alien Resurrection for my 14th Birthday. My cousins called over and we watched it. There was moments I like but all in all it was not was good as the others and even though I tryed to like it fully I couldnt.

Over the years I collected comics and figures, Game and novels. I love those movies. Their my Trek, My Wars. I know the World inside out. The characters, weapons,ships I know them like the back of my hand....but despite that I still dont know the creature....sure the life cycle and subspecies yes....but the Xenomrophs themselves still to this day remain a mystery granted Prometheus has attempted to answer some of those questions but the beast itself....is it an animal or a weapon? Is it Both. It it smart or going buy some primal instinct. We dont know and thats what makes it so.....ALIEN.

The other reason I like the movie is it paints the future as not a nice and very real place. The people are not in awe of space to them its away of life and a tough one. The ships and tech dont look like something that came off a factory floor...they look used and worn buy the harshness of space. Space is an unforgiving place that traps and isolates you. We're trespassers on a frontier that does not want us. We're Captain Scott Freezing to Death, We're Ferdinand Magellan getting his head caved in buy the natives.....we not ment to be here. But we are and thats why its the Aliens job to remind us we shouldnt.

For me the Aliens movies show man at the lower end of the totem pole despite all or tech and bravado.
Granted In space no one can hear you scream...but thats because you shouldnt be there in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment